2013 Drama Rated R 134 Minutes
|In Theaters||October 18, 2013|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||March 4, 2014|
|On DVD||March 4, 2014|
12 YEARS A SLAVE is based on an incredible true story of one man's fight for survival and freedom. In the pre-Civil War United States, Solomon Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery. Facing cruelty (personified by a malevolent slave owner, portrayed by Michael Fassbender) as well as unexpected kindnesses, Solomon struggles not only to stay alive, but to retain his dignity. In the twelfth year of his unforgettable odyssey, Solomon's chance meeting with a Canadian abolitionist (Brad Pitt) forever alters his life.
Rated R for violence/cruelty, some nudity and brief sexuality.
Box office gross: $56.6 million. View box office history.
Released by Searchlight Pictures. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Exciting trailer for Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks' new film
- Best movies of 2015 that you don't know about yet: Tim's list
- 'Boyhood' and 'Birdman' lead this year's Oscar nominations
- Will Angelina Jolie sniff an Oscar nom for directing 'Unbroken'?
- 'Episode VII' adds an Oscar winner & more set pics
- '12 Years' wins Oscar for Best Picture, 'Gravity' grabs most