2014 Drama Rated PG-13 127 Minutes
|In Theaters||February 21, 2014|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||November 18, 2014|
|On DVD||November 18, 2014|
In "The Wind Rises," Jiro dreams of flying and designing beautiful airplanes, inspired by the famous Italian aeronautical designer Caproni. Nearsighted and unable to be a pilot, Jiro joins a major Japanese engineering company in 1927 and becomes one of the world's most innovative and accomplished airplane designers. The film chronicles much of his life, depicting key historical events, including the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, the Great Depression, the tuberculosis epidemic and Japan's plunge into war. Jiro meets and falls in love with Nahoko, and grows and cherishes his friendship with his colleague Honjo. Writer and director Hayao Miyazaki pays tribute to engineer Jiro Horikoshi and author Tatsuo Hori in this epic tale of love, perseverance, and the challenges of living and making choices in a turbulent world.
Rated PG-13 for some disturbing images and smoking.
Box office gross: $5.0 million. View box office history.
Released by Shout Factory and Studio Ghibli. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- '12 Years' wins Oscar for Best Picture, 'Gravity' grabs most
- Everything you need to know to rock your Oscars pool
- 'Gravity' and 'Hustle' in old-fashioned Oscars tussle
- Golden Globes spread the love to the year's best in movie and TV
- 'Slave' and 'Hustle' lead Golden Globe noms; 'Butler' shut out
- Oscar Watch: 'Short list' of 19 animated films released